Monday 15 February 2016

FINAL ANIMATION


Final piece review
What worked
-The animation showed a good variety of techniques which display some of the 12 principles of animation. The first transition sequence shows squash & stretch and anticipation with the brain and skin. The same can be said for how the flame turns into two balls in an elastic manner.
-The black drawing on white background looks clean and keeps aesthetically close to the videos I reviewed, this is because I borrowed a lot of aspects from these such as how the faces transitioned in the ‘love and theft’ video.
-The small addition of colour breaks up the monotony of the black and white. I felt this was necessary as even the white board animations featured the animators hands just to bring in another element.
-Every frame is hand drawn and different, this is a positive because it shows a digital setup definitely works in creating stop motion animation and the process reflects how it would have been made using a white board.
-
What didn’t work
-The animation feels empty because there is a lot of negative space. I could have taken advantage of more of the space provided by adding extra details just to make the screen a little more interesting.
-I unfortunately had to show two characters at once because I was limited for time and likely would not have finished the animation fully otherwise. Now that I know I like this style in comparison to a white board I will be able to recreate this more proficiently in the future.
-The time left on the faces is slightly too short. I originally wanted to hold on the faces of my characters a little longer because I wanted the viewer to be able to comprehend everything that happened in one loop. However this may be beneficial because it will engage viewers and force them to look for what they missed before hand, very much like the ‘love and theft’ video I took inspiration from. (I did slow down the frame rate for the final animation to show the process clearly)
-
Overall despite all the flaws, I am very happy with how the animation turned out. I was able to capture the surreal aesthetic I like in 2D animations and doing it digitally meant I could be more expressive because none of my work was likely to get lost or be ruined.

No comments:

Post a Comment