Monday 15 February 2016

Character creation

Now that I knew how to create a split pin model I decided to see if I could implement some artistic elements through character creation. My previous model was focused on proportional accuracy to an average human and lacked any details. My new character was to be a caricature of myself.
In all professional character design the subject is sketched from multiple angles, this adds depth to the character and makes animating easier as the artist will be able to see what the character looks like from each side. However this also relates to proportional accuracy, if I draw a character from a front view I also need to know what its profile will look like accurately. I have drawn horizontal lines across the page of my original character design indicating the length of each major feature, this is very effective as I can now draw the profile of my character without spending a long time measuring out each aspect of the figure.

Example of character design by Disney


Once I had finished my character I could merge both the design and split pin method to make a whole new figure.
I again decided to make the character perform a walk cycle only this time I also designed a background which would move behind the character as it walked.






The lines on the split pin figure and background are too thin so it is slightly difficult to make out what is going on in the background. If I were to do this again I would maybe paint the background or use thick pens to clearly show what is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment